About this week
As you work on composing your first full draft of Project 3 this week, you will also learn how to successfully incorporate sources into your prose and how you can add style to academic writing. You will submit a full draft of Project 3 and then read and respond critically to some of your classmates’ drafts. Drafting and receiving feedback is an essential part of the writing process, so please take your time with the peer reviews and do your best to offer thoughtful, detailed, and constructive comments.
- Learn about and practice integrating sources
- Understand ways to maintain your voice while also citing research
- Learn about and incorporate elements of style into academic writing
- Understand and participate in peer review
- Consume this week’s required readings and media
- Participate in the Peer Review discussion
- Making a Quote Sandwich: This handout explains how to effectively integrate quotes into your writing; it also discusses using signal phrases and adding analysis after quotes.
- Integrating Sources into Paragraphs: This video offers step-by-step directions about how to successfully integrate sources into your paragraphs.
- Integrating Evidence Appropriately: Review these strategies to successfully integrate sources into your writing without losing your authorial voice.
- Quoting, Paraphrasing, and Avoiding Plagiarism: Review this source to understand when and how to quote directly and when and how to summarize.
- Style: This resource offers an overview of style and discusses how style is rhetorical (shifts according to context, purpose, and expectations).
- Peer Review and ‘Tis Better to Give and Receive: How to Have More Effective Peer Response Groups: Both of these readings offer excellent advice about how to help your peer response group be effective and productive.
Integration of sources in paragraphs (Duration: 5:37)
- APA Style Overview: This website offers an overview of how to format a paper in APA style.
- A Short Guide to Academic Writing Style: This resource offers specific suggestions for helping you write in ways that academic audiences expect.
Peer Review Template
For this assignment you need to first post your complete draft of Project 3, the Argument or Persuasive Essay, and you will then read and respond to the drafts of two of your classmates. Before you participate in this peer review, however, make sure you review the two peer review resources offered this week.
To complete this assignment, do the following:
By Sunday: upload a full draft of Project 3. Remember to include a title page, reference page, APA page numbers, format, and in-text citations.
By next Thursday: carefully read the drafts that your peer group members have uploaded and offer them feedback. Use the “Project 3 Peer Response Template” to offer careful and critical feedback to these classmates.
Make sure you answer the questions fully; be critical but kind. And be specific: explain what you think the writer should add, delete, change, etc.